Monday 2 August 2010

Salt and vinegar update

Not too much to report, I've been taking it easy since the epic of Fuji aided by the crappy weather and hellishly busy week at work last week. It was mostly busy because random visiting profs and my talk I gave about Scotland (which I think went pretty well if I might say so *insert smug smile here*). The random prof. was German and as we (I and some of my other lab mates) showed him round the humid and damp sites of Sapporo kept on bringing up The War, Jews (in a very non- 3rd reich way btw) and other extra-sweat inducing topics- and of course all I had in my head after the first comment of his was Faulty Towers and "don't mention the war" comments in my head after this.
I can be thankful that most of the conversation probably went over the other peoples head, they had already been buggy-eyed at the fact that he's gay. J-people, GET A GRIP!
One of my colleagues is going off to work in America- California, no less so he'd better get over it quickly otherwise his head may explode.
That was a long day in an already long week- I didn't get home until around 9pm pretty much every night last week. This week is the opposite- both the Supreme Commander (aka his highness, or the big boss) is away and also my mini Boss is taking a well earned rest (more on that development in another post I think) so I fairly skipped out the lab in the daylight at 5.30 last night and met a friend for a cinema trip, finally getting to see one of the many films on my to-watch list.
Salt- Angelina Jolie in super-action mode. I really enjoyed it, its a little bit Josephine Bourne, and also kinda freaky given all the recent real Russian spy stories from America. That it also has one of my favourite actors in it too is an extra bonus (Chiwetel Ejiofor). If you have the time, give Salt a watch I reccomend it.
And speaking of movies, another I want to see is Toy Story 3, but the stupid cinemas in Sapporo have decided to only show dubbed versions of it, so I'm screwed. Does anyone know if its the same in other parts of Japan- because previously they always had a subtitled version for these kinds of films and I hope this isn't a new trend.
Anyway, the rest of this week should be also quiet- I hopefully will be off on Thursday for a R&R session with another friend, before she leaves for Sweden and before her Hen party on Saturday- I'm not sure Sapporo is ready for a bunch of foreign females on a Hen Party, lets see...

2 comments:

Gaijin Wife said...

Saw SALT today with hub - who is AJ fan. I am too and we did enjoy it but I guess I was kind of expecting a different ending - not quit sure what though! Any trip to the movies is nice though - no kids for half a day. Amazing :D

Hope you get some early nights with the boss away.

Oyome-san said...

How did the staff realize the visiting Prof was gay? Did he show pix of his beloved at home or something?
Japan is way behind the times on this topic - gay people are still viewed as part of the entertainment world and TV performers etc - actual real, life gay people living an Open Life and Proud Of It is a big jump for most Japanese.
Mind you...this is a country where
Being Vegetarian
Being in an International Marriage
Being a Confident Woman
Being Self-employed
Being of Mixed Heritage
Being Ironic
is all viewed with amazement!