Sunday 6 February 2011

Downtime weekend



Woke to the sound of rain today.It was really peaceful so I lay there listening to the drips and splashes. Of course this meant my plan for a trip to the sea was off the boil. I ended up going to the cinema to see Tangled. I was quite aware that I was there on my own, but once the film started I didn't care. It was a great movie to see on a grey, wet weekend day, I really enjoyed it. I thought about seeing if any Chinese new year celebrations were on afterwards, instead I ended up back at home making some lentil soup for the week and updating some pictures.There were a few fireworks outside the window a couple of hours ago, I guess the probably the post gradstudents from the halls of residence.Yesterday I had a glorious sleep of nearly 11 hours! the first big sleep for ages- the previous 2 nights were really noisy here with gales roaring through the bare branches of the trees in the park keeping me awake. I was all set for a reasonable lazy day when the police horse clopped by the window to remind me that it was match day.All snuggled up cozy next to the football stadium...makes for noisy Saturdays during the season

So instead I ended up taking a 4 hour walk around Newcastle suburbs and booking someappointments to view some flats. It was nice to walk around the streets- down the red brick, Victorian/Edwardian terraced houses of Jesmond and Sandyford and Heaton. I came across the Church where my sister was baptized when we used to live in Whitley Bay (a coastal town near here), so it was almost like a trip down memory lane. As I headed home the match was being broadcast across the city- A huge cheer went up at one point which echoed around for ages and judging by the noise it must have been an exciting match.
Later on, after the match, the cheer was replaced with the sound of the local teenagers shouting/screaming and howling at each other in the park. It was almost like listening to the sounds of the jungle- with those loud carrying howler monkey noises that the boys were making.

And finally....look at these little fellows, merrily munching away on the grass in the middle of the city, right next to a busy pavement. Wild aswell, I could imagine the squeals of kawaiii! if my J-friends saw these.

2 comments:

Oyome-san said...

Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'm British....

SomedaysSarah said...

Thats lots of wildlife (of the not so cute and cute varieties)!

I love listening to the rain from inside too, so peaceful.

Glad to hear you're settling in!