Sunday 5 September 2010

And on the left....

Everything is all calm here after the emotion of the last posts. Today is the last day in work before I depart for a conference in Helsinki, so unlike all the others who are going who are still working, I have no experiments, just sorting out information, rolling posters and getting some Euros. I'll just include my mini rant against the stupid, backwards banking system in Japan right here.
Why is it that in a country where everyone works themselves to death or at least ridiculously long hours do the banks only open 9am to 3pm and why the hell do I have to travel all the way to the center of Sapporo to go to the only bank IN sapporo that has foreign currency- what the hell!!?? Don't get me started on the stupid ATMS with their closing times.....
This is the first trip abroad with the girls on the lab, last year I as in Budapest as the only woman amongst the department members. I was also the only one who bothered to learn some Hungarian to take taxis, get the bill etc. And as the token foreigner amongst the J-crowd I was constantly being spoken to in Hungarian by people. I guess they figured I was the translator for the group or something.
I have my suspicions that this will happen in Helsinki, in fact I know that it will. I have already heard the dreaded comments " but you'll be there to show us or to speak for us" from at least 3 seperate people, despite me telling them that everyone can speak English in Helsinki (well most people, but I'm not telling them that). I might add that all those 3 were wimpy guys. These would be the same guys who didn't leave their hotel in the US, because "it wasn't safe", this was a hotel in the center of the city not some ghetto I might add. At least the women are much more relaxed and keen for sightseeing and/or shopping. Hopefully I can steer them to the chococlate and cakes shops ;)
So I'm about to become the department tour guide for Finland, fount of all knowledge on all things Finnish and European. Right I'm bogging off early to pack my suitcase and sort out my little flag and white gloves.

1 comment:

gaijinwife said...

Have a great time tour guide.
l