Wednesday 30 May 2012

light my fire

The torch has landed and is currently making its way around the UK. It will be coming past where I work on June 17th just as work finishes, I was really looking forward to seeing the torch. I'm not going to the games, so this would be the closest I could get and lets face it, its not often an olympic torch visits where you are.
Unfortunately, it seems like I'm not going to be there on that day- I'm being sent to Cambridge for a week of work. I shall have to make do with this video instead... complete with slightly cheesy epic music.

Its been so busy in work recently, I feel like I'm barely keeping on top of things. I had the added joy of some charming bug (tonsilitis, cough, feeling like crap) 2 weeks back too on top of computer woes and grumpy colleagues- just to really add to the pile...
Still at least tomorrow we're going to have a wee jubilee street party- inside, in the lab coffee room so we can try bring some joy before the extra long bank holiday weekend.
 I for one am really looking forward to having 4 days away from work, especially as I have been in and out of work at the weekends too much recently.

3 comments:

Oyome-san said...

Sorry to hear you've been ma-ma in recent weeks - but hope the jubilee celebrations with the lab go well.
And you and I will sit down to watch opening ceremony and make catty comments.
You think Eurovision was bad....wait till Opening Ceremony and the Pearly King and David Beckham...

SomedaysSarah said...

I've done more than enough overtime this month to make up for my Gilden Week vacation, so I ear you on work. I hope things calm down for you soon, though, and I hope you do get to enjoy some of the Olympic craziness in person - being in Vancouver for the winter Olympics was amazing, and watching the torch go past was surprisingly cool (even if you ignore that I got to see my absolute favourite hockey player carry it through a neighbourhood that is half Indian and half Chinese and therefore packed with hockey fans, featured a dragon dance, and deafened the ears with Bollywood tunes!)

Heather said...

Thanks!
I think I'll have to try and find an alternative location to see the torch, it does make the olympics feel more relevant... but I"m definately looking forward to watching the opening ceremony with you...If it doesn't have a cockney knees up with a pearly queen and Beckham I'll be disappointed
And, thanks to two guys in the lab, this jubilee weekend I don't have to go anywhere near the lab, they're looking after my cells and things.