Saturday 12 March 2011

Not shaken, but stirred

Stunned and horrified by the images I'm seeing on the internet, I'm glad I don't have a TV yet, because I think I would be seeing worse and wouldn't have been able to get to work at all yesterday. Last night the images replayed in my mind, along with the trip I took in that area last year.
I have spent the last day and half checking all the blogs, facebook, skyping friends, sending emails just to make sure, even though I know at the same time that everyone should be fine, that they don't live in (or even near) the Tohoku region, but when you see that almost unreal video of a black tide of burning debris racing over fields, villages, houses, cars, people you want to make sure, because its all you can do.
My family are profoundly happy I'm back in the UK, I'm glad too, although at the same time I feel like I should be there as well. All that tiny shakes I experienced in Sapporo I know were probably nothing like what happened on Friday, I can't imagine what it felt like even though I try.
I'm so glad everyone that I know or read are all fine; happy that my friend who had travelled to Tokyo could contact me. I hope it stays that way.
I'm not very religious but what ever peace there can be for those caught up in this I hope it comes quickly.

2 comments:

SomedaysSarah said...

I too was in some of the areas worst hit last summer, and have been in other areas before. And my memory keeps supplying images to contrast to the devastation on TV and it is horrific.

Glad all your loved ones are safe.

Jessica Renshaw said...

ONE WAY TO HELP: Christian Relief, Assistance, Support and Hope (CRASH) is already on the ground in Sendai helping with relief efforts. CRASH equips and prepares churches and missions to be there to help their communities when disasters strike and coordinates Christian volunteers to work with local ministries in the event of a disaster. http://crashjapan.com/ What they need immediately is money for satellite phones and $3,500 for each of the three or four survey teams that have just left for the area. Satellite phones will be used to keep in touch with teams being sent out and with the base camps being setting up. Site for donations: http://www.jema.org/joomla15/