Wednesday 5 May 2010

Golden week- voyages in sakura land





Sorry for the length of the posts, its mainly just to provide space for the pictures. What better way to get over a nice holiday then to write and post pictures of it.....ne!?
So April 30th
"crunch pssshhhst" as we slamed into another wave. Only 16 more hours to go. I grabbed my book and ipod and headed to the upperdeck and grabbed a seat by the window. My bunk was too inside to be pleasant especially with the odd feeling weightlessness that goes with every big wave.
Leaving Otaru was pleasant enough...the shore crew waving us off as they do here (it always gives me that slight feeling of foreboding). At first it was calm though the wind was strong, gradually though as we came out of the shelter of the bay and the headland the wind and waves grew in strength, forcing my newly aquired "ferry nakama" and I inside.
After promising to meet up for some coffee later, I headed to try out the onboard onsen.
The pool was forming minature tsunami's and I wedged myself into the corner shower. It was a strange feeling to be sitting in a bath that was moving almost as much as the sea outside. After I left the onsen the opening times vanished and a tacked up sign suggested it would be unsafe to use...ah well.
Below deck was quiet save fore the creaking and crash and shudder of the waves. I made the foolish mistake of heading to the bathroom- I walked in and came back out quickly. I guess most of the women on board weren't coping with the rough conditions.
I spent most of my time sitting watching great clouds of spray blowing by the window and the steely grey sea, foaming white, until after dinner, then I tried sleeping, though I found myself putting my hand out to steady myself every so often...sleep came eventually at 2am, only to be woken 4.30 am as the car decks were being unlocked and the annoucements and lights came back on again.

1 comment:

umebossy said...

Sorry I'm late to comment! I read this when I was in the UK but didn't get a chance to say anything. Looks like it was a bumpy ride! It must have been bizarre to be having a bath on a boat in the middle of stormy water - definitely an experience!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip :)